The Works of Jayne Pupek

My photo
Richmond, VA, United States
Jayne Pupek is the author of the novel "Tomato Girl" (Algonquin Books, 2008) and a book of poems titled "Forms of Intercession" (Mayapple Press, 2008). Her writing has appeared in numerous literary journals. In addition to her own writing, Jayne freelances as a ghostwriter, editor and mentor. A Virginia native, Jayne has spent most of her professional life working in the field of mental health.

Contact Jayne

To contact Jayne, email JaynePupek@aol.com

LibraryThing

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

On Becoming a Novelist


On Becoming a Novelist
August 27th, 2008 by me
Jayne Pupek’s first novel, Tomato Girl (Algonquin Books, 2008) just released yesterday—and has the most delicious cover to go with its delcicious title! Her book of poetry, Forms of Intercession, was published by Mayapple Press in January. We should all have such a great year! - Meg

Everyone’s heard the story of the karaoke singer who gets discovered in a bar. How I became a novelist sounds a little like that story. At least on the surface.

After a career in mental health, I found myself at home full-time with my children. I had more time on my hands than ever before, particularly once my trio started school. While I turned much of my attention to my menagerie of animal companions, I also absorbed myself in my lifelong love of books and writing. I enrolled in a writing workshop and online groups for poets. I had no real thoughts to publish, although I gradually began to send out a few poems. Some were accepted. Most were not. I kept at it and improved. Some days I even thought of myself as a poet.

Fiction was another matter.

Read the rest of the essay on Meg Waite Clayton's 1st Books Blog