Thursday, June 12, 2008
Female contenders rule out 'archaic' post of Poet Laureate
Wendy Cope, a favourite for the post of poet laureate, said: 'It means nothing. It is not important'
Three of the leading contenders to be Britain's first female Poet Laureate have ruled themselves out of contention for the post.
The ancient role, currently held by Andrew Motion and remunerated by 630 bottles of Spanish sherry, is due to be reappointed next year.
But hopes that the 10-year tenure, whose previous incumbents have included Ted Hughes and John Betjeman, could go to a woman look set to be dashed.
Almost none of the leading female poets are interested in the position. Read the rest of the article in The Independent.
- ► 2009 (46)
- THE ALGONKIAN
- Erotica Accepted by CLEIS PRESS
- And the winner is...
- Two Poems Up at The Dirty Napkin
- POEMS ABOUT FATHERS
- Virginian Poet Anne Spencer’s Works Turned over to...
- Female contenders rule out 'archaic' post of Poet ...
- 2 Poems Up at Blossombones
- The Book Collection that Devoured My Life
- Hillary Suspends Campaign, Endorses Barack
- Open Books: A Poem Emporium
- Yes, we can!
- Review by Library Journal-Tomato Girl
- ▼ June (15)