The Works of Jayne Pupek

My photo
Richmond, VA, United States
Jayne Pupek is the author of the novel "Tomato Girl" (Algonquin Books, 2008) and a book of poems titled "Forms of Intercession" (Mayapple Press, 2008). Her writing has appeared in numerous literary journals. In addition to her own writing, Jayne freelances as a ghostwriter, editor and mentor. A Virginia native, Jayne has spent most of her professional life working in the field of mental health.

Contact Jayne

To contact Jayne, email JaynePupek@aol.com

LibraryThing

Saturday, April 5, 2008

An Update




Last night's anniversary dinner of scallops in garlic sauce was topped off with gorgeous flowers from husband and a white cake with red roses. Being married definitely has its perks, especially when husband doesn't frown when I eat the icing and skip the cake. Why don't they just make the whole cake from icing? I guess then it wouldn't be cake. Duh.

Since it was our wedding anniversary, I didn't get my usual daily dose of CNN, but I managed to watch some of the speeches the candidates gave on the sad anniversary of Dr. King's assasination. I still cannot belive that John McCain voted AGAINST making Dr. King's birthday a national holiday. How does someone vote against something good? I mean, is McCain against clean air, art museums, and picnics in July? How could anyone be against honoring a man of the greatness, vision, and courage of Dr. Martin Luther King? McCain has spent too many hours in that hot Arixona sun. The man's delusional. This confession will surprise no one, but I wouldn't vote for him if he ran for dog catcher, certainly not for President.

Okay, other news. My poem, "Alaska" appears in the new issue of Tattoo Highway. The image above is from the same issue.

Some other recent acceptances: Kaleidowhirl accepted my poem, "When she Dusts" and Juked has accepted "Speculation." I'll post a reminder when these poems appear.

I never thought I'd make anyone's HOTLIST, but I am pleased to announce that "Tomato Girl" was listed on OVERBOOKED'S hotlist for New and Notable Fiction for 2008. It's a long list, but I'm just glad to be there.

And last, but not least, Dr. Marutham, the Director of the Bharathiar Academy of Tamil Research, has asked for permission to translate some of my poems in Tamil for purposes of teaching his students. Since two of my children were born in India, this is a special honor.