Three days after winning the presidential election, Barack Obama was spotted in Chicago carrying a book of poems by Derek Walcott, the West Indies Nobel laureate.
The Illinois senator was photographed holding the new-looking book, perhaps a gift he had just received, and reading a letter as he headed to his car with his wife, Michelle.
The 500-page volume, Collected Poems 1948-1984, is one of 20 collections by the poet, theatre director and playwright, who has also written more than 20 plays.
Read the rest of Catherine Elsworth's article in The Telegraph (U.K.)
- ► 2009 (46)
- Sharon Olds Speaks at the 2008 Poets Forum
- Weekly Address from the President-elect
- Q&A and Readersville Essay
- Review and Guest Post at Booking Mama
- PUSHCART NOMINATION
- Review Up at Every Day I Write the Book Blog.
- Barack Obama still has time for a little poetry
- Reader's Guide
- President-Elect Barack Obama in Chicago
- Yes, We Did! The Next First Family....I am so Prou...
- 2 Reviews, Guest Post, and a Reminder to Vote!
- ▼ November (13)