The Works of Jayne Pupek

My photo
Richmond, VA, United States
Jayne Pupek is the author of the novel "Tomato Girl" (Algonquin Books, 2008) and a book of poems titled "Forms of Intercession" (Mayapple Press, 2008). Her writing has appeared in numerous literary journals. In addition to her own writing, Jayne freelances as a ghostwriter, editor and mentor. A Virginia native, Jayne has spent most of her professional life working in the field of mental health.

Contact Jayne

To contact Jayne, email JaynePupek@aol.com

LibraryThing

Monday, August 20, 2007

Diane Arbus, Photographer


I have an affinity for films about the lives of writers and artists. I suppose it has to do with my curiosity about how they evolved, what inspired them, and how they managed their lives---the balancing of their art with the more mundane tasks we all have to do. This weekend, I watched Fur, a film featuring Nicole Kidman and Robert Downey, Jr. that explores the photographer, Diane Arbus, as she begins her journey as an artist. While the film does not claim to be an actual biography, it is clearly one interpretation of a fascinating and gifted woman. The ending was a little too predictable, but overall, I was so enthralled with the film that I could hardly wait to order the actual biography. Arbus's fascination with the grotesque both moves and intrigues me.