The Works of Jayne Pupek

My photo
Richmond, VA, United States
Jayne Pupek is the author of the novel "Tomato Girl" (Algonquin Books, 2008) and a book of poems titled "Forms of Intercession" (Mayapple Press, 2008). Her writing has appeared in numerous literary journals. In addition to her own writing, Jayne freelances as a ghostwriter, editor and mentor. A Virginia native, Jayne has spent most of her professional life working in the field of mental health.

Contact Jayne

To contact Jayne, email JaynePupek@aol.com

LibraryThing

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Teachers

Teachers have always played an important role in my life. I had an unusual early education because of my disability. During the mid-60s, when I was a child, children with disabilities were only beginning to be included in mainstream classes, at least in the rural areas of  the South where I grew up. For the first six years of my formal education, I had a homebound instructor, Dora Shiflett. She, more than anyone, inspired my love of books. She also assisted in the writing of my first poem. Although she is no longer living, I think she would be proud to know that I had become a novelist and poet.  She is the Dora to whom I dedicated Tomato Girl.

This article is a tribute to one wonderful teacher. She sounds a lot like Dora...