The Works of Jayne Pupek

My photo
Richmond, VA, United States
Jayne Pupek is the author of the novel "Tomato Girl" (Algonquin Books, 2008) and a book of poems titled "Forms of Intercession" (Mayapple Press, 2008). Her writing has appeared in numerous literary journals. In addition to her own writing, Jayne freelances as a ghostwriter, editor and mentor. A Virginia native, Jayne has spent most of her professional life working in the field of mental health.

Contact Jayne

To contact Jayne, email JaynePupek@aol.com

LibraryThing

Saturday, July 28, 2007

On Blogging and Technology

This is my first attempt at blogging. I don't have a clue how to go about it from a technical standpoint. I'm convinced that those For Dummies and Idiot Guides were written just after someone saw me lighting candles and chanting desperate pleas at my computer screen. I just don't have a knack for anything high tech. I don't understand how mechanical things work and electronics--well, just forget it. When I bought my new Dell, the transition from Apple to Microsoft left me irritable and sleepless for days. Thankfully, I had a team of people to help me with this process: my teen sons who are more tech savvy than I will ever be; the cable man who connected me to Broadband, and a computer tech guy who so impressed me with all he knew of my computer, I came close to proposing to him. So far so good. Every day, I wake to my AOL greeting, telling me I have mail. I point and click and take in new worlds. Amazing. Thank you, Al Gore. Incidentally, I still proudly display a Gore bumper sticker, and would have voted for him even if he hadn't created the Internet where I now live, work, and play. That is a mark of a writer, I think--the willingness to jump into the unknown and unpredictable; the tendency to swim into water over our heads, simply because it is there and we are curious.
Dorothy Parker once said that the cure for boredom was curiosity, and that there was no cure for curiosity. I live by those words, and try to write by them, too.

Okay, now where is the damn spellchecker on this thing?

Jayne